Sunday, May 12, 2019

THE SHOES


    


Am I hallucinating again, thought the old drunkard upon seeing a figure standing on the railing of the bridge. Is somebody about to jump? He thought about the cold river and wished for a glass of bourbon. Then he forgot what he was thinking about altogether, and continued to wobble down the bridge illuminated by the orange lights of street lamps in the foggy night.

*
Maybe I should've kept my shoes on, thought the man looking down at a pair of leather oxfords he had neatly arranged on the sidewalk. He loved those cognac colored shoes. He stared at the deep dark in front of him. I’m so depressed, he thought. The whole world is depressed…except maybe a few of them who are not yet aware of their beings and the futility of human existence. Or those lucky ones with endocrine imbalance who unintentionally possess more serotonin than we normal depressives. But if that’s the case, then why am I the only one standing here on this railing, on this bridge, above a water abyss that does not forgive? Where are the others like me? Am I the weakest? Or the bravest? Am I the most conscious? My wife left me for another. She said that he is an alpha male and I’m not. I am some delta or omega or some other letter nobody knows about. My ex-boss is also an alpha male. He said that himself once. Not yesterday when he was firing me. Yesterday he only said that I am a strong person, and that it’s great that I don’t have a wife and kids to support. Nor a dog, nor a cat. The wife left. The kids we did not conceive waiting for some better times that never came. I don’t like dogs because they jump on me and leave dirty marks. And cats, I am allergic to them. But those are all extenuating circumstances. I have nothing and nobody. Lucky me. That’s what my boss said. Marie from accounting was sorry to see me go. I think her eyes teared up a little, but it could have been the fluorescent office light reflecting in her glasses. They are thick those glasses. Possibly plus three. Maybe even four. Who knows what she even sees through those glasses. Maybe she thinks I’m handsome. I think her eyes are green. She has a big nose. Luckily she wears glasses so they visually make it smaller. Although I like women with big noses. They look strong. Maybe it’s a fetish. Her lips are nice, like little cherries. I wonder if she is a good kisser. I wonder what kind of a kisser I am given that my wife left with another man. In all fairness, her kisses were not that great either. When I asked her why she left me she said timing. As if that’s an explanation. She said I was behind in modern lingo so I don’t understand. I’m not hip. I don’t follow trends. I don’t have a beard. Her alpha male does. I met him. And I like him, what can I say. He’s cool. Marie from accounting said I should give her a call. Like privately. She gave me her cellphone number. What does that mean? She is not married. Maybe she is interested in me. Not all women like beards. And she said my shoes were nice. They are nice. Maybe I should’ve kept them on. This railing is cold. My ex didn’t ask for anything when we divorced. She said I should keep everything. Most of the things were mine to begin with, but a lot of women would ask for what is not rightfully theirs. The ex-wife of my alpha male ex-boss took everything from him. My apartment is big. Maybe I should sell it and get a smaller one, and then start my own business with whatever money’s left. Become my own boss. Advance from a delta male to an alpha one. Climb to the very top of that Greek ladder. Open a shoe store. A fancy shoe store, like the one I bought these shoes in. They are beautiful. I love that cognac leather. I would love a glass of cognac right now, to warm up and toast. Maybe I’m not depressed. Maybe I’m just a little bit worried about my future. But isn’t it normal to be worried when finding yourself on a crossroad of life and trying to choose the right way to go? I am choosing my path and I am afraid not to make a mistake because life flows like this dark river below and there is less and less time. It needs to be spent in a good way. Smartly. The marriage with my ex was nothing to brag about, really. We were not compatible at all and she did me a favor by leaving. And if I hadn’t been fired, this idea of opening my own business would’ve never crossed my mind. My shoe store is going to have the best shoes. Like these oxford beauties on the sidewalk. And I’m going to call Marie and ask her out. I think she likes me. I like her, too. I find her thick glasses attractive. And when she takes everything else off and leaves only the glasses…I’d like to see that. I’m gonna call her tonight. I feel better now. Excited about life. I feel like my mind has somehow cleared up. Well, I am standing at the edge of this tall bridge, high on this railing here…the air is clean. Although it’s foggy. Who is that dawdling like a ghost at the end of the bridge? Looks like some drunk bum. He is getting closer. I better get down before he sees me. I don’t want to explain that I am not going to jump, now that I’ve changed my mind. And I want to put my shoes on and not stand here in my socks like a fool. Here…what is that? Where is this thundering coming from? Why is the bridge shaking? And...and swaying. What is going on?! I slipped! I’m losing balance! If I fall on the sidewalk I will surely get all bruised as this railing is quite high. But no, I’m falling forward! I’m plunging into the dark river! No! I wanted to come down! The dark is swallowing me. Was that an earthquake? Just now when I decided to call Marie! And what about my shoes? Marie will think that I jumped. Everybody will think that I jumped. I did not jump!!! The railing was slippery. I knew I should’ve kept my shoes on…the heel would've stuck and prevented me from slipping like this…my shoes, my beautiful sho—

*
What is happening, thought the drunkard while running in circles in panic. It had happened before that he would feel weak from too much booze, but this was different. Like a war starting. Or the end of the world. And then the trembling stopped and everything became quiet again. Was this an earthquake or is the alcohol making me lose my mind? He sat on the sidewalk for his mind to clear. The figure he had seen standing on the railing was gone. I have to stop drinking, he thought. Or drink less. Or just change what I drink. He slowly got up and continued walking down the bridge. What a weird night. Maybe I’m not even drunk. Actually, maybe I didn’t drink enough so I’m seeing and feeling things that aren’t. Then he saw them, on the sidewalk in front of him, neatly arranged – a pair of beautiful cognac leather shoes. He stopped and looked around. There was nobody. He took one shoe and gently ran his fingertips over the wingtip seams. He looked around again, and again there was nobody. Then he took off his old, scuffed boots and put on the oxford brogues. They were a little tight, but the leather was soft and soft leather gives in, he thought. They stood in a huge contrast to his raggedy clothes but they were just too beautiful to leave them behind. That was the kind of shoes that he would be buying if he had money. Shoes just like those. He took his old boots and hurled them over the fence into the river. Then in his new shoes he went on wobbling down the bridge, slowly disappearing into the fog washed by the orange street lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment